So here’s a recommendation from one overthinker to another:
- Give yourself some dedicated time/space to think through anger issues (or a particular issue that sparks anger).
- During this time, give yourself an easy way to get the thoughts out of your head: talk aloud and record voice memos, journal, record a video, type it all out in stream-of-consciousness, sketch, draw…
- Put a time limit on yourself for the thinking part. (We overthinkers can spend ALL DAY overthinking something. But we don’t need to.)
- When you reach the time limit, review your thoughts (written or otherwise) and come up with 5–10 potential actions that could help you get what you want out of the situation/experience. (I give myself a time limit for this, too, because otherwise I’ll overthink it.)
- Then choose ONE ACTION to take.
You can make a personal rule: no thinking/worrying about this issue until I’ve taken action.
Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts!